Thursday, April 8, 2010

Little Miracles

My Dog, Tanzee, had her puppies on the 3rd of April. She had a rough time and lost two of them, and had we not gone to the vet we probably would not have the three we do have. I went to bed that night about 10. I thought I can't really sleep so I'll read a bit... Bad Idea. I got caught up in my plot and the next thing I knew, I heard the three stomps to the floor above my head. (That is the signal we use to get one to come upstairs so that the other person doesn't have to come down and get you.) I crawled out of bed and went upstairs to see what was up. Mom told me Tanzee had a Puppy and it had died. She asked me if I would stay up and watch her so that if needed we could hurry her to the Vet's office. I took care of the puppy so that my little sisters wouldn't have to see it. Tanzee then had another puppy. I got her all cleaned up, and then Tanzee had another one... only this one came half out... Then Tanzee did the unthinkable.. She broke the Placenta. That will kill a puppy if the head isn't out. Which happened to be the case... So I tried my hardest to help the little guy get out.. but he was stuck. I had to wake up my Dad and have him do it... It had died. I was a wreck and was crying my eyes out. Dad took care of that puppy and I took the live one inside to warm her up... We wrapped her up in a towel and cranked up the heat. We then put her on top of our vent and let her lie there to get warm. She was really cute... I kept checking on Tanzee and no other puppies where coming out. I could see her pushing but it had gotten stuck inside. We took her to the Vet Saturday morning and Dad decided to have a C-section to get the little puppies out and then have Tanzee spayed so that this couldn't happen again.
The vet had me hold her as they shaved her and as they gave her the shot to put her to sleep. She looked so funny after a while, cause her tongue was half a mile long hanging out of her mouth. Lillian was with me and she didn't want to watch and part of me didn't want to either. But We did want to see the puppies that where coming out. The little Nurse was kind and had us come and wake the puppy up and get him dry. Lillian liked that part. Then the Vet pulled the one out that had gotten stuck and said I have no hope for that one. The nurse went to work anyway and gave him a little something to wake him up. She also did this cool thing where she held the puppy in her hands and Like a ketchup bottle, Flung him towards the ground to get the gunk in his mouth and nose to come out.
I felt like I was in the Movie 101 Dalmations as the nurse had instructed lillian and I to rub the puppies with a towel to get thier hearts to pump. I was amazed to see the little dude suck in air every once in a while. It took me about 45 minutes to get the little puppy to cry and clear his lungs. The Vet came back into the room and asked how the little guy doing and He got a surprised look on his face to find that he had survived.
I guess we can thank the Lord for little miracles. Tanzee is doing great and the puppies are getting really fat. The fattest is that little one that the vet said that wouldn't live. Oh and guess what? His name is Lucky...

2 comments:

  1. Little puppies are so cute! :) I'm glad that Lucky survived. The title for this post really fits. Thanks for posting! I loved reading it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post and very exciting, scary, and stressful all at the same time. I'm just glad I didn't have to bite my children's umbilical cords when they were born.

    ReplyDelete