Wednesday, March 31, 2010
Genealogy
So I promised Elder Land that I would help him with his Pedigree... well it sounded like a good idea. Dad has shown me how to do the group sheets and how to get the names all temple ready. BUT I had no Idea that it would be so hard to find the rest of his family without paying to go through some service. I know his parents names, his Dad's grandparents, and his grandmother's name... I need to find all the dates however... It is pretty discouraging. I just thought that if the dates where pretty recent like in the last 20 years it would be a cinch to find the information. I don't want to join an expensive genealogy site... I just want to be able to find his family. (sigh..) I am thinking that I am doing it wrong... I looked at the town that Adam was born in and I was able to find the newspaper that his Grandma's obit was in so I am thinking I can send for that. That was my only luck today. Hopefully maybe I can hit the Genealogy library sometime and maybe I'll have a little luck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Sadly, I don't know how genealogy works. It's almost all done for my family. My grandparents really worked on it hard. They went back as far as they could to when this one guy came to America and changed his name, so we couldn't go further than that on that side. The other is nearly done, as far as I know. But I really don't know much at all. Perhaps I'll research some, and learn about my family more. That would be a good thing to do. I just don't think about it ever really. Well, thanks again for posting. Sorry for blabbing in this comment...hehe :D Keep posting! I want to keep reading. :)
ReplyDeleteAlicia, your always welcome to comment here... You can write as much as you like...
ReplyDeleteGetting the names ready is the easy part I think... You have just have to have Their full name, the Birthdate, the Death date, and the marriage date if they got married. then you take the Name and check the system to see if the work has been done. It just finding all the dates and stories that is hard... But I really like doing it. It' s the most rewarding work.
As for it all being done.. it's never finished... even though your grandparents have done a lot of it I bet there are still clues that could be found. My Dad got in contact with a man in Iowa and he had a bible, that held the village name to where one of our ancestors came from Germany. we found out about his family that we never knew... But we have gotten stuck again but we still have hope for that Line. It's all a matter of prayer and following the spirit... But be careful.. It's VERY ADDICTING....